Skip to main content

Adventures in Motherhood

 I would like to preface this post by asking for understanding in any typos or autocorrected mistakes. I’m writing this on my phone because my computer is downstairs and I am holding a sleeping baby. 

There are the things everyone knows about motherhood, “You won’t get any sleep.” And all the rest of the obvious changes to your life…. But there are things that sprang up at me, unawares. The little things I wasn’t prepared for… like what to do when you have two snoozing babies in your bed and you have to pee. (This one may be specific to us only parents. I prefer this term over ‘single parent’ because that implies a secondary caregiver… which we don’t have.) or how very many different butt creams there are, and you will develop a *preference* on which are acceptable. Note: desitin stinks…. But A&D: the smell makes me gag. You will have to ask the pharmacist which kind of vaginal yeast infection cream is best for diaper rash because you weren’t aware that there was basically Monistat 3-100. Then as you walk around the store with grown woman vagina infection cream in your cart… and everyone and their mother wants to stop and look at your babies… you remember what it was like to be 15 and embarrassed to buy tampons. You have to suppress the urge to say “That’s not for me. That’s for the babies.” To every person who stops you. Alternatively you can hide it underneath everything else like your underwear at the gynecologist’s office. You guys have seen that TikTok, right? 


You know that you’ll feel crazy, that you’ll second guess yourself all the time and feel like you don’t know what you’re doing…. But even though you know these things, you won’t truly understand until you’re in it. It’s not just the bad/gross/stressy stuff either. Your heart will soar like you never imagined the first time you hear them say “mama.”  Then every time after that when you tell them “say mama” it’s “dadadada” she likes him better even from beyond the grave. Or how your heart will plummet when you can’t help them and they’re crying “mama.” You’ll know they’ll sleep through the night one day, and then they won’t again, and then they will again, and you remind yourself that you’ll miss these days when they’re older and don’t want to be in your bed anymore. But that knowledge doesn’t make you any less tired. 


I still haven’t figured out how to navigate baths or showers after they graduate from the sink. The advice I’ve been given is to just let one loose on the floor while I finish with the other. The BATHROOM FLOOR. I am appalled. It’s so gross! There’s a toilet in there. “Oh just stick a laundry basket or trash can on top.” These babies would definitely stick their tiny fingers in the cracks between the toilet seat and lid. Or… Oh dear God… Lick it. Cue the dry heaving. And they’d probably pull down whatever you put on the toilet too.


But along with the chaos, every day brings with it new adventures and discoveries and new little pieces of their personality that I am so privileged to be able to help shape. I am so proud to be their mama, no matter the fact that I’m winging it, with no real idea what I’m doing. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The 34th Anniversary of Michaela's Kidnapping

I sit here, on November 18th trying to put my thoughts together for an organized and well written blog post for Michaela's anniversary on the 19th. It's the first one without my mom. The first year that she's not here to write something herself. I feel the need to write something spectacular and heart warming to honor them both, even though I know nothing I come up with would be as good as what my momma would have written. And as with most things I've tried to write over the last few years, I feel it will probably look more like a jumble of thoughts and emotions that could have been put together by an ADHD squirrel. On top of that, what is there new to say, that my mom hasn't already said 1,000 times? Still, I will try.  My family has always known great loss. My whole life (or what I can remember, at least) has always had a shadow of loss hanging over it. But these last few years have REALLY hit us hard. First with the loss of Karina, my older brother's wife at

Dating and the Future - Part 2

** Trigger warning: This post contains a photo that may be hard to look at, specifically if you knew and loved Jamie. It is a photo from the mortuary, from the last time I saw him before he was cremated. The photo is from a distance but I still wanted to put the warning so you could continue to read at your own risk. I've been sitting on this post for a little while, letting it ruminate in my head for a bit, unsure what direction I even want to go in while writing it. Also... How much sharing is over sharing? Ya know, who cares. I'm an open book. I signed up for online dating a couple weeks ago. For the first couple hours it was exciting and exhilirating. But that shine wore off awful fast and turned into being both over and underwhelming at the same time. Overwhelmed with the quantity of messages and "likes" and underwhelmed with the quality of them. But what I found myself doing, was reading these profiles and looking at these men and trying to look past my first im

Mother's Day

My mom was always telling me I should start a blog. “You should call it ‘This One and That One’” she’d say, referencing how we frequently found ourselves referring to the Twinkies. “This one pooped.” “I think that one is hungry.”   I’ve been generally hesitant to start a blog, because on top of preferred short Facebook posts, I’m a little embarrassed by my inevitable bad grammar, punctuation, and run on sentences. My mom was the English major, I wrote essays to my high school English teacher about why they should give me an A, though I definitely didn’t deserve it.  I was thinking about how I she wouldn’t ever write another blog again, now that she’s gone. That I want to make sure to create backups of all her blogs, to keep them online forever. I thought about how writing a blog could leave a piece of me for my babies when they’re older. It would honor my mom. Keep her memory alive, along with Jamie’s. Plus, you know, I have all this free time on my hands. (Does sarcasm translate well